The NAIC came up with a list of good questions to ask an agent while you’re shopping around for quotes. Use this handy checklist the next time you chat with an agent about shopping for a homeowner’s policy:
- What is the claims history of the home I am considering?
- If I submit a claim, how will it affect my premium when I renew the policy? Could it end up costing me overall?
- How will my credit history affect my premium?
- What does the policy cover? What doesn’t it cover? What are the limits to the coverages?
- How much coverage do I need for my personal property?
- How much liability coverage should I buy?
- Should I buy flood insurance or earthquake coverage? Can an agent help me determine how much risk my home is at?
- What types of water damage are not covered? Is mold damage covered?