The short, interactive quiz presents several insurance concepts in easy-to-understand terms. Sample questions include: “Is damage from a busted bathroom pipe and a burst levee covered by the same policy?” and “If a hurricane floods your car, do you file a claim with auto or home?”
Some erroneous beliefs about flood insurance commonly held by consumers include:
- Myth: Homeowners insurance covers damage from floods.
- Reality: Most homeowners and business insurance policies do not cover damage caused by flooding.
- Myth: FEMA assistance is just as good as an insurance policy.
- Reality: Not everyone will qualify for FEMA assistance after a disaster, and grants (averaging less than $8,000) are not enough to cover all costs after a flood.
- Myth: Flooded homes are fine once they dry out.
- Reality: Flooding can damage the foundation of a house, as well as the walls and subfloors, causing mold and other problems. Fixing the damage is expensive.