You need commercial auto insurance for any vehicle that your company uses for business purposes, any vehicle that has a commercial license plate or tag and any vehicle that is registered as a commercial auto.
You must also get commercial auto coverage if your employees will be driving or using vehicles in the course of doing business, whether making deliveries, driving people to the airport or running errands on behalf of the business.
If you use your vehicle for any of the following functions, you may also be required to get commercial coverage:
- Using the vehicle to carry equipment
- Transporting flammable or hazardous material
- Transporting housekeeping equipment for business use
- Using, carrying or transporting cranes, or a winch or plow
- Hiring your vehicle out to tow other vehicles
- Delivering any goods such as pizza or any form of wholesale or retail products
- Delivering newspapers
- Trucking and freight transportation
- Transporting people as a chauffeur, limousine service or taxi service