Check Your Credit Rating
A good credit history helps you in many ways.
- Good credit makes it easier to get a mortgage at a competitive rate, and it may also qualify you for a good credit discount on your insurance.
- Make sure you know your credit rating before you apply for a mortgage.
- Get a copy of one or all of your credit reports.
- Make sure they are accurate and report any mistakes immediately.
- Take steps now to improve it if your credit is not as good as it could be.
If you are currently renting a house or apartment, protect yourself financially with a renters insurance policy.
- This provides insurance protection in the event a fire, hurricane or other insured disaster damages or destroys your personal possessions.
- It also covers the cost of additional living expenses if something happens to make your rental home or apartment unlivable.
- Additionally, renters insurance gives you liability protection if someone is injured in your home and decides to sue you.
- Disasters happen, and it would be unfortunate to have to use the down payment you saved to buy your new home to pay for losses that could have been covered by renters insurance.
- Furthermore, having a renters insurance policy provides a useful insurance history to your prospective homeowners’ insurer when you go to buy your first home.